Applications, with all supporting documents, must be completed before or during the first semester of enrollment. (See application procedures for Doctor of Physical Therapy Admission in DPT section of Catalog)
The applicant forwards the following to:
The Office of Graduate Admission
Mount Saint Mary’s University
10 Chester Place
Los Angeles, CA 90007-2518
- Application and application fee.
- One official, sealed, transcript of all previous university work, both undergraduate and graduate, sent directly from each institution to the Office of Graduate Admission. These records should demonstrate a minimum GPA of 3.0 for applicants to all graduate programs.
- Letters of recommendation from persons who have had ample opportunity to judge the applicant's academic ability, achievement and professional potential. (Personal references from family members, close friends, and neighbors are discouraged.)
Note: Applicants are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to request letters of recommendation from 3 individuals because requested letters do not always arrive by the admission deadlines.
- For applicants for the M. A. in Religious Studies: Two letters from individuals who can assess potential for graduate religious studies, theology, counseling, religious leadership in parish or school, or other related endeavor.
- For applicants for the Master of Business Administration: Two letters from individuals who can assess appropriate professional potential for success in business.
- For applicants for the M. S. in Education: Two letters from individuals who can assess appropriate professional potential for teaching or related field.
- For applicants for the M.S. in Counseling Psychology: Two letters from individuals who can assess appropriate professional potential as a counseling psychologist, therapist, general counselor, or other related fields.
- For applicants for the Master of Science in Nursing and ADN to MSN: Two letters from individuals who can assess appropriate professional potential for success in advanced studies in nursing.
- For applicants for the Doctor of Physical Therapy: Three references are required—one academic, one from a physical therapist, and one from an individual who can assess the applicant’s interpersonal skills.
- For applicants for the M.F.A. in Film and Television: Two letters of recommendation.
- For applicants for the M.F.A. in Creative Writing: Three letters of recommendation from instructors or colleagues best able to asses potential for graduate study. One letter must come from an individual able to judge creative writing ability.
- For applicants for the M.A. in Humanities: Two letters of recommendation.
- For applicants for the M.S. in Health Policy Management: Two letters of recommendation.
- Statement of interest/application essay (see Graduate Application).
- For DPT applicants, official GRE score reports should be submitted to PTCAS. All other required official test reports are to be sent to Graduate Admissions. The California Subject Examination for Teachers is required for Education applicants.
- An interview with graduate faculty may be included, depending on the program.
- MSN applicants must meet all nursing department policies regarding health data, immunization/tests/titers (i.e. TB, Polio, TD, Hepatitis B, Measles, Varicella, etc.), and criminal background check. Contact Graduate Admissions for current requirements.
- MFA in Creative Writing Applicants are required to submit a writing sample. See MFA Creative Writing section.
Graduates of foreign universities at which English is not the primary language must:
- Submit results of the IELTS test with required minimum band score of 6.5 OR submit results of the TOEFL test with required minimum score of 79 for internet-based test, 213 for computer-based test, or 550 for the paper-based test.
- Have their transcripts sent to an MSMU approved credential evaluation service agency for equivalency evaluation.
International Students must:
- Submit a notarized statement or official bank certification on International Student Data/Budget application and supporting documents guaranteeing financial support during the period of study at Mount Saint Mary’s University.
- Submit a medical certificate.
- Complete necessary visa documents.
Further details are published in “Information for Prospective Graduate Students From Other Countries,” included with the application forms.
Note: Exceptions to the requirements listed above may be requested by academic petition to the graduate advisor and Graduate Dean.