Psychology B.A. Assessment Goals and Outcomes
Students earning the B.A. in psychology will achieve the following goals and outcomes:
|Disciplinary Content Knowledge
Be conversant with the major theoretical aspects of psychology and have a contextual understanding of human behavior
|1. Show proficiency in six major content areas in the discipline of psychology: developmental, social, personality, abnormal, cognitive, biological psychology.
Communicate effectively in writing
|2. Compose a theoretically-based essay.
Become a sophisticated consumer of scientific claims
|3. Evaluate scientific claims in the popular media
4. Design a quality APA style research project
5. Apply and explain the logic of statistics
Demonstrate basic counseling skills
|6. Demonstrate accurate listening skills. Apply reflecting skills in response to prompts.Use probing questions effectively.
7. Distinguish subjective from objective observations of human behavior.
|Career/Professional Knowledge and Attitudes, Professional Development
Understand the role of psychology in society, core elements of professional ethics, and career paths.
|8. Demonstrate understanding of basic elements of professional ethics in research and counseling.
9. Define career paths and develop skills relevant to pursuing them.
10. Demonstrate interpersonal awareness and sensitivity to differences and similarities in the way people are treated due to gender, race, ethnicity, culture, class, and sexual orientation