History of Mount Saint Mary’s University
Mount Saint Mary’s University offers a Catholic liberal arts education in a variety of undergraduate fields of study, as well as innovative graduate programs for professional men and women on two historic Los Angeles campuses.
Founded in 1925 by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, the original campus was located at St. Mary’s Academy, at Slauson and Crenshaw Boulevards in Los Angeles. Property was purchased in the Santa Monica Mountains in 1927 and that site in Brentwood became the Chalon Campus which is home to the University's traditional baccalaureate degree programs.
The Doheny Campus near Downtown Los Angeles, once the historic Doheny estate, opened in 1962. It offers graduate, educational credential, accelerated nursing, baccalaureate weekend college and associate degree programs, many in an evening and weekend format.